Very rarely I find all the vegetables available at home to cook Veg Pulao and today happened to be that day. I had all the vegetables, expect peas. But that dint stop me from making the pulao.
There are few dishes we can just rush through and still manage to make it tasty. For the others, precision is required to get that perfect dish. More or less it happens with all the complex dishes which are time taking, they test our patience. For me Veg Pulao falls under that category. I remember times when I rushed through the process and it dint turn out the way I wanted it.
This time around, I came into the kitchen with as much patience I can muster and gave it my best shot. And the dish turned out to be delicious!!
So here is the recipe for Veg Pulao:
- 50 gm beans
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 50 gm cauliflower
- 50 gm fresh peas
- One big size Onion
- 2 green chillies
- ½ tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- Wash all the vegetables and dice potatoes and carrots into 2 cm cubes and beans 2 cm in length. Separate cauliflower florets and boil it for 10 minutes in a pinch a salt.
- Finely slice the onion and slit the green chillies. In a pan, add oil and a pinch of shahi jeera, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon. Once it starts to splutter, add onions and green chillies and cook them till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add all the vegetables expect cauliflower (as it is already boiled in water and will be cooked sufficiently) and sauté for couple of minutes. Let the vegetables cook for 15 minutes. Stir them occasionally.
- In the mean while, wash the basmati rice and add 3 cups of water for 1 ½ cup of rice. Add a dash of oil, ½ tbsp of salt and a pinch of shahi jeera to the rice and let it cook till rice is cooked half way through.
- Get back to the vegetables and add 1 tbsp of salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and garam masala. Now add the boiled cauliflower florets, mix well and let the vegetables cook till oil separates.
- Once the rice is cooked half way through, add the cooked vegetables to rice and mix it well. Let it cook till it starts to let the steam out from the closed dish.
And voila! Tasty Veg-Pulao is ready to be served. It can be served with raita. This dish can serve four people.
Do try the recipe and share your feedback.