Tomato chutney is for when you are running late in the morning and have already planned for either Idli or Dosa. It is a simple recipe and very easy to make. People who have a liking towards spicy food would definitely enjoy this chutney. Simply put, it is finger licking good!
Tomatoes: 5 medium
Green Chillies: 10 large
Peanuts: 1 cup
Cumin seeds: 1 ½ tbsp
Salt: 2 tbsp
Oil: 3 tbsp
Mustard and cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Dried Red chillies: 2
Curry leaves: 2 strands
Asafoetida: a pinch
- Dry roast peanuts and keep them aside. Dry roast cumin seeds till they turn aromatic and set it aside.
- Dice the tomatoes in fours and slit the green chillies.
- In a pan, heat oil and add tomatoes and green chillies. Cook them half way through and add mint before you turn off the heat.
- Grind this mixture along with roasted peanuts and cumin seeds into a fine paste along with salt.
- For tempering, take a pan and heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds, let them splutter.
- Add dried red chillies and cook till they turn golden brown. Add asafoetida just before you turn off the heat. Add curry leaves to the ground paste and pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Chatpati tomato chutney is ready!
It can be served with Idli, Dosa or Pesarattu.