Aliv is a forgotten food. It is also known as Haleem seeds or Garden Cress seeds. Aliv seeds have many benefits: glowing skin, shiny hair, regularizes periods, reduces sweet cravings and is good for pregnant women, post delivery as well and women suffering from hormonal imbalance.
Aliv is available in super markets and online grocery stores.
You can also consume Aliv in many forms. As such it is quite tasteless. Soak a pinch of Aliv seeds and have it with hot milk at night. But the best way to consume it is in the form of laddu. One laddu per day and you can gain all the benefits mentioned above.
Here is the recipe for Aliv laddu:
- Aliv seeds: ¼ cup
- Fresh ground coconut or dried coconut powder: 1 Cup
- Jaggery: 1 cup
- Cardamom: 3
- Badam: 6
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Soak Aliv seeds in ½ cup of water for two hours.
- Take a pan. Add jaggery and a tbsp of water in it. Stir until it becomes syrup.
- Now add soaked Aliv seeds and mix well. Add ground coconut and keep mixing till it becomes a thick paste on low heat.
- In another pan, add butter and badam. Fry badam till they turn golden brown and add it to the paste. You can use any dry fruit of your choice.
- Add crushed cardamom to the paste as well and mix it thoroughly.
- Turn off the heat and make (bite-size) laddus. Store them in refrigerator to keep them fresh for longer periods of time.