While I was working for my first company, I would feel hungry every hour after lunch. Sometimes my stomach would not even wait for that one hour mark to get hungry. I would pester my colleagues constantly with this nuisance. To which my then colleague and now friend declared: “you are not hungry, you are just bored!”
Well, I know I was bored.
My stomach? Not so much.
One day we received a packet of dry fruits as a gift. We (just my friend & I) called it our secret stash of “chuttur-puttur” which served my constant need of food or snacks. Of course we completed that stash within few days and stocked it up next with chocolates! And so on it went.
If only we found recipes of healthy yet filling pass time snacks back then. Anyway, as no surprise to my readers, on one of the visits to my sister’s place, I tried the kobbari (coconut) laddus she made. And I was done for. These laddus just melted in my mouth and they were so delicious! It was pure heaven! I have found my one true pass time snack of all times. I know it sounds like I am expressing my undying love for it, because I am!
For people who are constantly hungry and cannot find enough food in their food cabinets to satisfy their hunger, kobbari laddu is your one stop snack. It is easy to make and also packs good amounts of Iron.
So here is the recipe, do try and share your feedback.
- Fresh coconut – One half
- Jaggery – 100 gm
- Milk – 100 ml
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Cut the one half of the coconut in to bite size pieces and grind them to a coarse powder (grating does not work for this recipe. Believe me when I say I tried not to use the scary grinder! And also, grated coconut takes longer to cook.)
- In a pan, add generous amounts of butter (more the merrier) and add the coconut powder. Sauté till the coconut turns brown.
- Add milk and cardamom powder and cook it for 15 mins. Add jaggery and mix well till it dissolves.
- Cook it till it becomes a thick paste and turn off the heat. Let it rest for 5 mins and make laddus. And voila! Kobbari laddu is ready!
You can store them for months and have this snack whenever you feel bored!